Thursday, October 30, 2008

"Les Miserables" or "The Phantom of The Opera"? - Introduction

"Les Miserables" or "The Phantom of The Opera"? These two are the
greatest and second greatest musicals of our day (according to public
opinion). So, what do you think? There are so many aspects of each
to discuss. So to make it easier, I will narrow it down to four categories:

I - Musical Qualites
II - Positive Moral Values (how positive is it?)
III - Negative Moral Values (how negative is it?)
IV - Balance of Moral Values
V - Overall Beauty

I will state my objective opinion on both musicals in each category.
Then, you are welcome to give a different opinion (or support the
same opinion) in the comment section.

5 comments:

Old Fashioned Liberal said...

What is public opinion? G.K. Chesterton calls it everbody's opionion except yours...In other words, if everybody really cared about this kind of public opnion, there would be no such thing.

Ancient Greek Philosopher said...

Your comments are so confusing!!!!
But maybe that's what this blog is
about: being objective about tiny
details. I just meant that they're
rated No.1 and No.2 due to the
majority of the population thinking that or attending them.

Old Fashioned Liberal said...

Don't become a musician or a psychologist. Become a statistician. Just kidding! :)

electroblogster said...

Normally I pride myself on being able to discern the good in things which are even mostly bad. But frankly the music was such a hurdle I can't even recall the moral virtues without pangs of distaste.

I am with some of the other commenters here - the RANKING status of this piece doesn't correctly account for those of us to whom it was recommended but who ended up loathing it.

Ancient Greek Philosopher said...

Which one are you talking
about? I'm not exactly sure
how musicals are rated, but
I'm guessing it has something
to do with attendance when it
opens(???). Or maybe people
vote??? Anyway, I'm guessing
you don't like one of them,
correct?